Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24, Exam and update

It has been a rough 2 months from the surgery, but I think I am turning the corner.

I had a full exam today, which no longer phase me. My surgeon was pleased with the internally healing and assured me it takes time. He is more confident with every visit that I will return to an easier time. He also assures me it will never be normal like it was before. I will be happy with controllable.

My biggest concerns have been my fatigue and weight loss. I have lost 12 lbs in the last 6 weeks. I think I now weigh the same as my junior year of high school. The good news is that we are going to change up some medications, go off the anti-biotic, and get tested for a number of possibilities. I am feeling better every day and it seems I am having more good days than bad. I am confident time and some more testing will heal and I can start to get back to my old self. All my life I have never been so tired and with out energy. It has been a real awakening for me. I now walk half the distance I use to run and come back short of breath.

On the positive side, I had a great Father's Day and I was able to sit through Ryan's graduation. (2 hours of sitting in one place) Ryan's graduation was very emotional for me. He worked so hard and struggled with so much, I was very proud. I know there are some very special moments in everyone's life and I am learning to appreciate those more and more and this was one of those moments.

I am hoping for a restful summer. I have continued to work as much as my body will tolerate. I am not upto travelling yet, but I am hoping to take a vacation in late July to Portland and flying Ryan off to Colorado College in August.

In the meantime I am working on my recovery and more thankful than ever of the all the support and love everyone has shown.

Bruce

1 comment:

Marie Chichester said...

Bruce,
It was great seeing you running through Peter's Canyon yesterday. My offer is sincere...If you ever want to stay at our place in Winter Park, please do. Or come visit us when we are out there. Joey is hoping to go back to CU in the Spring. I hope Ryan learns to love Colorado like we do.
Hugs,
Marie