Monday, April 20, 2009

The end is near

This is going to be a very eventful week. On Wednesday, Earth Day, I will turn 50. When I was first diagnosed and all through my treatments and surgeries, I have always imagined I would be done by my 50th and I would celebrate with a big party. Unfortunately, reality got in the way of my expectations, which always leads to disappointment. So I will be quietly celebrating my birthday this weekend and getting ready for my final (hopefully) surgery on next Tuesday the 28th. If all goes well, it will be 3 days in the hospital and 6-8 weeks of recovery, then the big party sometime in mid to late summer.

Even with the disappointment things are looking up. I was able to do a college tour with Ryan and as the weather started to heat up this weekend I started to feel much better. I am working out and doing yoga and trying desperately to put on a little more weight prior to the surgery. I still envision myself back to normal in 4-6 months but I understand it will take that long to get everything back working and all the chemo out of my system. I met with my oncologist last week and he is still pleased with my results and very optimistic that I will never face this cancer again. My blood count are still a little low which explains why I am still tired and sleeping 8-10 hours a night. The neuropathy which has really been bothering me should start to dissipate in the next two months and gradually go away, though not completely, over the next 6 months.

So I am going to enjoy my birthday this week, be thankful for everything I do have especially my personal relationships, and look forward to my date with Dr. Teddy on the 28th.

Hopefully, I will post as soon as I get home from the hospital.

Once again thank you for all the prayers, thoughts, love and support.

Bruce

No comments: